The district has 3 municipalities, namely, Rangpur Main (Sadar), Badarganj, and Haragach, and eight Upazilas, namely:
Rangpur town, covering an area of around 43 square kilometers, lies on the bank of the Little Ghaghat River, and was turned into a municipality back in 1869. The population of the Rangpur municipality as of 2006 is 251,699, with 52% male and 48% female, and the literacy rate is 54.6%.
Rangpur (Town) stands on the bank of the river Ghagat. It consists of 15 wards and 109 mahallas. The town was turned into a municipality in 1869. It has an area of 42.57 sq km. The population of the municipality is 251699; male 52.31%, female 47.69%. The density of population is 5913 per sq km. Literacy rate among the town people is 54.6%.
Administration The district consists of three municipalities, eight upazilas, 33 wards, 84 union parishads, 2151 mouzas and 1519 villages 203 mahallas. The upazilas are badarganj, gangachara, kaunia, rangpur sadar, mithapukur, pirgachha, pirganj and taraganj; the municipalities are Rangpur Sadar, Badarganj and Kaunia.
Archaeological heritage and relics Tajhat Rajbari, Keramatia Mosque, Dimlaraj Kali Mandir, Sree Sree Karunamaye Kali Mandir, Rangpur Museum, Rangpur Town Hall, Rangpur Public Library, Pareshnath Mandir at Mahiganj, tomb of the noted Islamic thinker Maulana Keramat Ali Jainpuri, tomb of Shah Jalal Bokheri at Mahiganj, tomb of Ismail Ghazi at Kataduar, carmichael college Building, home stead of roquiah sakhawat hossain at Pairabandh, Zila Parishad Building, Takka Mosque at Latifpur (Mughal period, Mithapukur upazila), three domed Jami Mosque at Mithapukur (Mughal period), four domed Taraganj Mosque, nine domed Radhanagar (Badarganj upazila) Mosque (Mughal period), tomb of Kutub Shah at Kutubpur, Vhim Garh at Manshinghpur (Badarganj upazila), Zamindar Bari at Roypur (Pirganj upazila), remnants of the palace of Raja Nilambar at Patgram (Pirganj upazila), Hari Mandir at Chandan Hat (Gangachara upazila) and Mitha Pukur (excavated during the Mughal period).
Historical events Mansingh, commander of Emperor Akbar, conquered part of Rangpur in 1575. Rangpur came completely under the Mughal empire in 1686. Mughalbasa and Mughalhat of Kurigram district still bear marks of the Mughal rule in the region. During the Mughal rule Rangpur was under the sarker of Ghoraghat. Rangapur Ghoraghat has been mentioned in the Riyaz-us-Salatin. During the early period of the company rule fakir-sannyasi resistance and peasant rebellion were held in Rangpur.
Marks of the War of Liberation Mass killing site: Dahiganj Crematory, eastern side of the river Ghagat, Balar Dighi (near cantonment), Lahirir Hat (adjacent to Badarganj Road), place adjacent to Damdama Bridge (Mithapukur), Sahebganj, Nandiganj, Jharuar Beel (Badarganj), Damdama Bazar, back yard of the Jhenuk Cinema Hall (Badarganj); mass grave: Damdama Bridge, Damdama Bazar (Mithapukur), Angrar Bridge, Madarganj Bazar (Pirganj), Nandiganj (Rangpur Sadar).
Population 2534365; male 50.92%, female 49.08%; Muslim 89.60%, Hindu 9.59% and others 0.56%; ethnic nationals: Santal and Orao.
Religious institutions Mosque 2911, temple 377, church 17, Buddhist vihara 1, tomb 28 and sacred place 8, most noted of which are Mithapukur Jami Mosque, Phulchawki Mosque, Takka Mosque, Khalaspir Hat Jami Mosque, Hatibandha Mosque, Sena Nagar Jami Mosque (Taraganj upazila), Kazipara Jami Mosque, Taraganj Mosque, Mandir at village Aladipur (Mithapukur upazila), Baldi Pukur Church (Mithapukur upazila), Benu Ban Buddhist Vihara (Mithapukur upazila), tombs of Maulana Keramat Ali Jainpuri, Pagla Pir, Panch Pir (Rangpur Sadar), Shah Ismail Ghazi (Pirganj upazila).
Literacy and educational institutions Average literacy 26.7%; male 33.5% and female 19.4%. Educational institutions: university college 1, college 64, medical college 1, technical college 1, teacher's training college 3, cadet college 1, polytechnic institute 1, vocational institute 1, law college 1, homeopath college 1, music school 1, high school 282, junior high school 38, madrasa 370, government primary school 722, non-government primary school 444, kindergarten 20, satellite school 44 and NGO operated school 193 and community school 20.
Locally published newspapers and periodicals Dabanal (1980, Juger Alo (1992), Dainik Paribesh (1994), Dainik Rangpur (1997), Weekly Atal (1991), Rangpur Barta (1996), Weekly Bajrakantha (Pirganj); extinct- Rangapur Bartabaha (1847), Rangapur Dik Prakash (1861), Rangapur Darpan (1907), Uttar Bangla (1960), Pravati (1955).
Cultural organisations Club 277, public library 12, cinema hall 17, theatre group 14, theatre stage 3, museum 1 and literary society 10.
Main occupations Agriculture 40.26%, agricultural labourer 28.01%, wage labourer 4.88%, commerce 10.12%, service 5.56%, transport 2.11% and others 9.06%.
Land use Total cultivable land 170113.36 hectares; single crop 16.89%, double crop 63.15% and treble crop land 19.96%; land under irrigation 76.80%.
Land control Among the peasants, 45% are landless, 30% small, 20% intermediate and 5% rich; cultivable land per head 0.06 hectare.
Value of land The market value of the land of the first grade is Tk. 6500 per 0.01 hectare.
Main crops Paddy, jute, wheat, potato, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and tobacco.
Extinct or nearly extinct crops Linseed, sesame, indigo, kaun, aus paddy and arahar.
Main fruits Mango, jackfruit, black berry, papaya and banana.
Fisheries, dairies, poultries Poultry 263, fishery 134, dairy 78, nursery 7 and hatchery 30.
Communication facilities Roads: pucca 570 km, semi pucca 109 km and mud road 4101 km; railways 71 km; waterways 30 nautical mile; airport 1.
Traditional transport Palanquin (extinct), horse carriage and bullock cart (nearly extinct), boat.
Manufactories Sugar mill, distilleries, rice, flour mill, saw mill, ice factory, oil mill, match factory, bidi factory, iron works, cold storage, printing press, lathe machine and welding.
Cottage industries Weaving, bamboo work, goldsmith, blacksmith, potteries, wood work, tailoring and bidi.
Hats, bazars and fairs Hats and bazars are 155, noted fairs are Rath Mela at Mahiganj, Baruni Mela (Badarganj), Gopinathpur Mela (Badarganj).
Main exports Paddy, jute, wheat, sugarcane, ginger, tobacco, mango and vegetables.
NGO activities Operationally important NGOs are brac, asa, grameen bank, CARE, RDRS, RDSS, proshika, Grameen Krishi Foundation, thengamara mahila sabuj sangha, Gram Bikash.
Health centres Medical college hospital 1, zila sadar hospital 1, TB hospital 1, TB clinic 1, eye hospital 1, family planning centre 80, union health centre 30, charitable dispensary 12, municipal medical centre 1, maternity and child welfare centre 1, satellite clinic 40.
Tajhat is a historical place of Bangladesh, located near Lalbagh, Rangpur. It has a nice Jamidarbari (Palace) which in 2005 was turned into a museum. This museum is about 10 mins drive from Rangpur town, near Lalbagh. The Museum was inaugurated on March 20, 2005, by the Government of Bangladesh Minister for Cultural Affairs, Begum Selima Rahman and Secretary Mr. Mahmudul Masud. Dr. Alain Labrique of the Johns Hopkins University also made some invited remarks.
The palace in Tajhat, commonly known as Tajhat Rajbari was built by Maharaja Kumar Gopal Lal Roy in the beginning of the 20th century. He was a descendent of a Hindu khatari who emigrated from Punjab. He was a jeweler by profession. It is believed that from the conspicuous appearance of his Taj or jeweled crown his estate derived the name of Tajhat. From the name of his estate, the area is known as Tajhat.
Just south of the city of Rangpur lies the Tajhat, a former "rajbari" or zamindar's palace. After the end of the British Raj, the building was abandoned and decayed rapidly, although it was used for a few years as a courthouse during the 1980s. In the year 2004, it was largely restored and turned into a museum with ancient inscriptions, art and coins from the area on display.
RDRS (Rangpur and Dinajpur Rural Service) Bangladesh , an NGO in northwest Bangladesh, has a large office and guesthouse/convention center in the town of Rangpur.
Rokeya memorial in pairabondhA museum and women's training centre was established in Pairabondh, the birth place of famous Begum Rokeya. It is half an hour drive away from Rangpur city. Apart from the Tajbari museum there is another museum at the heart of the town. The town is known as Green town for its beautiful garden and green park throughout the town. It has a District magistrate office where the great Social Reformer Rammohan Roy served for long time. Nowadays there are lots of market places all through the city. Carmichael College, built during the Raj era, is located in Rangpur. The literacy rate has increased after the independence of the country from the Pakistan. There are many schools, mosques, and temples in the city.
There is a big Zoo in the heart of the city. There is an ancient auditorium in the city where different programs are held. The economy of the people is weak since there is no major natural resource like minerals. The coal is found near this district. There is a large military containment in the town.
The upazilas in this district are:
Thakurgaon Sadar Upazila
The economy of Thakurgaon district can be divided into two major parts: Agri-based economy and non agricultural sources of ecomony. It is an obvious that in agri-depended Bangladesh agriculture would be the thrust sector of the economy. Thakurgaon has been striving for long time to be economically productive. But being 500 km apart from the capital it is not easy to get sufficient technical and logistic support. Even its been always a pain for local products to get into the national market. It is not easy for the investors to set up their business far away from the center of national trade and commerce. Thakurgaon is rich in producing a good number of agri-items like paddy, wheat, sugercane, seasonal corps, seasonal fruits etc. There is a sugarcane plantation - TSM (Thakurgaon Sugar Mill), part of the BSFIC. These become the main livelihood of the native. Poltry firms are quite productive business in Thakurgaon. There are several coldstores in the district. Different businesses for producing and repairing agricultural tools have grown up. Good number of service holders dwell in Thakurgaon engaging themselves in different government and non-government services among with independent jobs. The people needs some planned and long term actions to develop and maintain their economy.
Places of interest
Thakurgaon: 1) The river of Tangon 2) Senua Bridge 3) Sugar Mill 4) Old Air Port, First Destroyed second world war, situated at Shibganj 5) Jomidar Mosjid at Shibganj 6) Papri's home. Baliadangi: 1) Ancient Mango Tree
Ranisankoil: 1) The Fair of Nekmordon 2) Gorkoi Heritage 3) King's Palace 4) The river of Kulic 5) KhuniaDhighi Memorial 6) Palace of King Tonko Nath
Pirgonj: 1) Mazars of great Muslim saints.
Haripur: 1) Ancient Hindu Temples.
Thakurgaon is culturally very rich district. It has its own culture developed for many years. The locality face an influence of its colorful culture. Few festivals and cultural events are regularly arranged here. Alpona Samsad events 'Boishakhi Mela' every Bangla new year. Teertho arranges 'Thakurgaon Film Festival' every year from 2007. Dhamer Gaan is the cultural invention of Thakurgaon people. Existing about 10 tribals here enjoy there culture practices.
Many government and non-government organizations are active in Thakurgaon. Government offices and organizations are as usual to any district of Bangladesh. Along with some famous national NGOs like BRAC, ASA, CARE, PKSF there are number of renowned local non-government organizations active here.
Thakurgaon District (rajshahi division) with an area of 1809.52 sq km, is bounded by panchagarh district on the north, west bengal of India on the west and south, Panchagarh and dinajpur districts on the east. Annual average temperature: maximum 33.5°C, minimum 10.5°C; annual rainfall 2536 mm. Main rivers are tangon, punarbhaba, nagar, Pathari, Talma, Kulic, dhepa.
Thakurgaon (Town) consists of 9 wards and 23 mahallas. The area of the town is 10.70 sq km. The Town has a population of 40336; male 51.62%, female 48.38%; population density per sq km 3770. Literacy rate among the town people is 58.5%.
Administration Thakurgaon subdivision was established in 1860 and was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 2 municipalities, 18 wards, 32 mahallas, 5 upazilas, 51 union parishads, 643 mouzas and 643 villages. The upazilas are baliadangi, haripur, pirganj, ranisankail and thakurgaon Sadar; municipalities are Thakurgaon Sadar and Pirganj.
Archaeological heritage and relics Residence of Raja Tonkanath (Malduar), Rajbari of Raja Jagendra Narayan, Rajbari of Raja Ganesh, Jagadal Rajbari, Bangla Garh, Sangaon Shahi Mosque, Fatehpur Mosque, Jamalpur Mosque, tomb of Syed Nasir Uddin, tomb of Pir Sheikh Sirajuddin, tomb of Hazrat Adam (R), Govinda Jeo Mandir (eighteenth century), Shiva Mandir at Haripur Rajbari, Goraksanath Mandir, Katihar Hat Shyamrai Mandir, Ramrai Dighi, Khunia Dighi, Adhar Dighi, Shapla Dighi and Rani Dighi.
There are nine Thanas / Upazilas in Sirajganj district. They are:
Sirajganj Sadar Upazila
Sirajganj District of Rajshahi division with an area of about 2497.92 sq km, is bounded by Bogra District on the north, Pabna district on the south, Tangail and Jamalpur districts on the east, Pabna, Natore and Bogra districts on the west. Main rivers are Jamuna, Baral, Ichamati, Karatoya and Phuljuri. About 10% area of the Chalan Beel is located in the Tarash upazila of this district. Annual average temperature: maximum 34.6°C, minimum 11.9°C; annual rainfall 1610 mm.
In 1922, many people were killed and wounded when police opened fire on an assemblage of people gathered at Salanga Hat (as a part of the Khelafat and non cooperation movement) under the leadership of Maulana Abdur Rashid Tarkabagish. This is known as Salanga Movement or 'Salanga Genocide'. In 1942 Mohammad Ali Jinnah came to Sirajganj to attend the All India Muslim League Conference; Mahatma Gandhi and Subas Basu came to Sirajganj to attend the convention of the Brahmo Samaj in 1928. The Hindu-Muslim Pact of the Swaraj Party, headed by Deshbandhu chitta ranjan das, was adopted in the Conference of the All India Congress Party held in 1924 at Sirajganj. National Poet kazi nazrul islam came to Sirajganj in 1932 to presided over the Conference of the Tarun Muslim. ak fazlul huq laid the foundation stone of Sirajganj Degree College in 1940. During the War of Liberation a battle was fought between the freedom fighters and the Pak army at Naogaon of Tarash upazila in which the Pak army was defeated and about 150 members of the Pak army were killed. During 11 to 14 December a battle was fought between the Pak army and the freedom fighters at Shailabari in which Pak army was defeated. Sirajganj was liberated on 14 December 1971.
War of Liberation
Marks of the War of Liberation Mass graves at village Baroitala (Kazipur Upazila) and village Asbaria (Tarash Upazila); martyr memorials at Chandidasgati, Sirajganj Sadar Upazila (Durjay Bangla), Ghatina (Ullahpara Upazila) and at village Baroitala Kazipur Upazila).
Population 2707011; male 51.14%, female 48.86%; Muslim 92%, Hindu 6.5% and others 1.5%.
Mosque 3227, temple 245, tomb 37, church 2, sacred place 3.
Literacy and Education
Literacy and educational institutions Average literacy 27%, male 33.4% and female 20.2%. Educational institutions: university college 1, government college 5, non-government college 75, teachers' training college 1, law college 1, homeopath college 1, medical assistant training school 1, youth training centre 1, vocational training institute 1, nursing institute 1, primary teachers' training centre 1, government high school 3, non-government high school 245, junior high school 43, madrasa 249, government primary school 880, non-government primary school 503. government maternity centre 1, community school 2, technical training centre 4, singer school 1, kindergarten 2. Noted educational institutions: Islamia College (formerly Senior Madrasa (1887), Gayanadayeni High School (1884), BL High School (1869), Sirajganj Government University College (1940), Pakrashi Primary School (1856, Chauhali), Ullahpata Merchants Pilot Multilateral High School (1906), Jhekta Bandar Model Government Primary School (1903, Ullahpara), Shyam Kishore Pilot High School (1929, Belkuchi), Meghai High School (1920, Kazipur), Ghandail High School (1920, Kazipur), Porjona Mukundanath High School (1880, Shahjadpur), Shahjadpur Pilot High School (1882), Potajia High School (1894, Shahjadpur).
Locally published Newspapers and Periodicals Dailies
Kalam Saynik, Jamuna Prabaha, Jamuna Setu; Weeklies: Jamuna Barta, Sahasi Janata, Jaha Baliba Satya Balibo, Sundar Barta, Ananda Bhor, Weekly Ullahpara; extinct: Monthly Jamuna, Weekly Samajug, Sirajganj Samachar, Hitoshi.
Rural club 424, public library 12, cinema hall 27, theatre group 25, theatre stage 2, literary society 9, and women's organisation 343, Shilpa Kala Academy 1, Shisu Academy 1, library 65.
Agriculture 35.49%, agricultural labourer 21.45%, wage labourer 5.77%, commerce 11.98%, service 5.49%, handicraft 5.59%, industrial labourer 2.78%, others 11.45%.
Total cultivable land 179964.02 hectares, fallow land 15701.64 hectares, forestry 50.48 hectares; single crop 19.54%, double crop 59.18% and treble crop land 21.28%; cultivable land under irrigation 74.34%.
Land control Among the peasants, 21.85% are landless, 22.41% marginal, 32.37% small, 17.58% intermediate and 5.79% rich; cultivable land per head 0.07 hectare.
Value of land The market value of the land of the first grade is approximately Tk 7500 per 0.01 hectare.
Paddy, jute, wheat, mustard seed, sugarcane, onion, garlic, potato, sweet potato, chilly and ground nut.
Extinct or nearly extinct crops Indigo, tobacco, local varieties of aus paddy, china, kaun, varieties of dal (pulse).
Mango, jackfruit, black berry, papaya, guava, coconut, palm, date, olive, bel, tetul and banana.
Communication facilities Roads
pucca 324 km, semi pucca 91 km and mud road 2393 km; waterway 175 nautical mile; railway 41 km; railway station 3.
Palanquin, bullock cart and horse carriage. These means of transport is either extinct or nearly extinct.
Jute mill, textile mill, cement factory, rice and flour mill, ice factory etc.
Cottage industries Cottage industries in this district include weaving bamboo and cane work jute and jute goods, goldsmiths, handicrafts, blacksmiths, potteries, wood works, mat and pati making.
Jute, jute carpet, molasses, flour, cotton sari, lungi and cotton fabrics.
Health centres Zila Sadar hospital 1, private hospital 5, project hospital 1 (Ullahpara), heart disease clinic 1, upazila health complex 9, palli (rural) treatment centre 1, satellite clinic 31, family welfare centre 70, mother and child welfare centre 3, child hospital 1, eye hospital 2, police hospital 1, prison hospital 1, diabetic clinic 1, private clinic 27 and Sandhani donor club 1.
Panchagarh has five Upzila. There are
Panchagarh District (rajshahi division) extreme northern district of Bangladesh with an area of 1404.63 sq km is bounded on three sides by 288 km long Indian border, having Darjeeling district on the north, Jalpaiguri and Kuchbihar districts on the northeast, West Dinajpur and Purnea district on the west, dinajpur and thakurgaon districts on the south, nilphamari district on the east. Its soil is sandy, alluvial and bears close affinity with the soil of the old Himalayan basin. On the northern part of the district there exists underground layer of pebbles. Maximum temperature 30.2°C and minimum 10.1°C; annual total rainfall 2931 mm. Main rivers are Karatoya, Atrai, Tista, Mahananda, Tangon, Dahuk, Pathraj, Bhulli, Talma, Nagar, Chawai, Kurum, Versa, Tirnoi, Chilka.
Panchagadh is the situated in the north side of Bangladesh. It is 150 feet high from the level.
Some important data about Panchagarh:
Area: 1404.63 km².
Total Boundary: 302.68 km
No. of City Corporation: 2
No. of Upzilla: 5
No. of Union: 43
No. of Village: 825
No. of Mouza: 463
Dencity of Population: 641 per sp. km.
Rate of education:
Main Crops: Rice, Wheat,Sugar-Chan etc.
No. of Rivers: 16
Main Rivers: Korotoya, Dahuk,Chawai, Tirnoy.
Administration Panchagarh was a thana under Jalpaiguri district of West Bengal during the British rule. It was under Dinajpur district at the time of the partition of 1947. It was turned into a subdivision in 1980 consisting of Panchagarh, Boda, Debiganj, Atwari and Tentulia thanas. Panchagarh was elevated to a district in 1984. It consists of five upazilas one municipality, 9 wards, 32 mahallas, 43 union parishads and 850 villages. The upazilas are panchagarh sadar, boda, debiganj, atwari and tentulia.
Archaeological heritage The existence of fifteen garhs (fortifications) has hitherto been traced of which the most noted are Bhitar Garh, Hosain Garh, Mir Garh, Rajan Garh and Deven Garh. Panchagarh is named after these five garhs. Archaeological relics include Nayani Burz (bastion), remains of Atwari zamindar-bari and that of katchari-bari of Raniganj Devottvar Estate and the temple therein, Mirzapur Shahi Mosque, Tomb of Bara Awliya, tomb of Arif Shah, Maharaja Dighi (pond) at Bhitargarh, Maidan Dighi, Mughali killah (fort) at Chandan-bari, Vadeswari temple and Boda temple.
Historical events Sannyasi and Fakir movements flourished during 1763-1800. Many of the rebel sannyasis were executed at a place named Sannyasi-kata near Bangla-bandha. Tebhaga movement originated from this district (1946).
Marks of the War of Liberation Mass killing site in the char (pasture) area on the eastern bank of the Karatoya adjacent to the old Dakbungalow in Panchagarh town; mass grave on the bank of the Punna-dighi near Mirzapur and at Dangi in Atwari thana; a few graves of the martyrs at village Bamanpara in Bhajanpur; Shaheed Faruq Ahmad memorial monument at Dhakka-mara in Panchagarh town.
Population 829374; male 50.83%, female 49.17%; Muslim 81.79%, Hindu 17.64%, Christian 0.24%, ethnic group 0.21%, others 0.12%; ethnic nationals: 138 Santal, 45 Uria and 155 other families.
Religious institutions Mosque 997, temple 147, church 12.
Literacy and educational institutions Average literacy 30.6%; male 39.8%, female 20.8%. Educational institutions: college (government) 2, (non-government) 18, collegiate school and college 3, secondary school (government) 4, secondary school (non-government) 229, madrasa 58, primary school (government) 310, primary school (non-government) 283.
Newspapers and periodicals Panchagarh Barta (1996, now extinct).
Cultural organisations Club 131, public library 4, literary society 1, shilpakala academy 1, women's association 1, cinema hall 8.
Main occupations Agriculture 51.33%, agricultural labourer 26.88%, wage labourer 3.5%, service 4.03%, others 7.87%.
Land use Cultivable land 115232 hectares, fallow land 1035 hectares, forest area 1252 hectares.
Land control Among the peasants, 33% are landless, 43% small peasant, 20% intermediate, 4% rich.
Value of land The market value of the first grade arable land is Tk 2500 per 0.01 hectare.
Main crops Paddy, jute, wheat, potato, sugarcane.
Extinct and nearly extinct crops Barley, aus paddy, kaun.
Main fruits Mango, jackfruit, litchi, banana, black berry, papaya, guava, coconut and betel nut.
Dairy, fishery and poultry Livestock 54, poultry 105.
Communication facilities Roads: pucca 305 km, mud road 2499 km; railway 11 km.
Traditional transports Palanquin, bullock cart. These means of transport are extinct or nearly extinct.
Manufactories Rice mill, ice factory, garments factory, oil mill, saw mill.
Cottage industries Weaving 45, bamboo work 755, goldsmith 95, blacksmith 195, potteries, wood work 320, tailoring 305.
Hats, bazars and fairs Hats and bazars are 157.
Main exports Paddy, jute, potato, sugar, methylated spirit, electric pole, pebbles, sand and timber.
NGO activities Operationally important NGOs are brac, asa, Gonoshahajjo Sangstha, CARE, Swanirvar Bangladesh, grameen bank, DAHC, APCD, rdrs, Ganabima Prakalpa, Grameen Krishi Foundation, Bangladesh Paribar Parikalpana Samiti, Uttara Development Program, Manab Kalyan Parisad, Abas Sangstha, (local) Gram Unnayan Sangstha, Disha, ESDO, Drishtidan, Suchana, Anubhava, Daridra Durikaran Sangstha, Dadumari Gram Unnayan Sangstha.
Health centres Sadar hospital 1, upazila health complex 5, diabetic hospital 1, leprosy hospital 1, Islamic Foundation hospital 1, union clinic 28, upazila community clinic 9, charitable dispensary 8, family planning centre 37.
Enclaves (Chhitmahal) The Indian enclaves in the district are Puthimari, Daikhat, Shalbari, Kajaldighi, Natak-toka and Nazirganj in Boda upazila; Behula-danga, Balapara Kotbhajani and Dahla Khagrabari in Deviganj upazila; Garati and Singimari in sadar upazila. Total area of the enclaves is 4837 hectare; population 23963.
The upazilas under Pabna district are:
Faridpur (Formerly Bonwareenogor) Upazila
Pabna Sadar Upazila
The district of Pabna in Bangladesh, which forms the south east corner of the Rajshahi Division, is situated between 23°48′ and 24°47′ north latitude, and between 89°02′ and 89°50′ east longitude. The Bogra District bound it on the north, while the Padma River in the south separates it from the districts of Faridpur District and Kushtia District. The mighty Jamuna River runs along its eastern border separating it from the districts of Mymensingh and Dhaka; and on the west it has a common boundary with the district of Rajshahi. Kazirhat is a place for pabna there two river is in a one place one is jamuna and podma river.
Pabna (Town) consists of 15 wards and 34 mahallas. The area of the town is 18.64 sq km. The town has a population of 116371; male 52.37%, female 47.63%. The density of population is 6243 per sq km. Literacy rate among the town people is 60.1%. The only mental hospital (estd 1957) of Bangladesh is located in the town.
Administration Pabna district was established in 1832. It consists of 9 upazilas, 8 municipalities, 81 wards, 191 mahallas, 72 union parishads, 1321 mouzas and 1540 villages. The upazilas are atgharia, bera, bhangura, chatmohar, faridpur, ishwardi, santhia, sujanagar and pabna sadar. The municipalities are Bera, Bhangura, Chatmohar, Faridpur, Ishwardi, Santhia, Sujanagar and Pabna Sadar.
Archaeological heritage and relics Three domed Mosque at Bharara (1176 AH), three domed Kazipara Mosque (Bhangura), Chatmohar Shahi Mosque (989 AH), Pathanpara Khandokarni Mosque (built by the Afghans, Chatmohar), Samaj Shahi Mosque (958 AH), three domed Jami Mosque at Juktitala (Ishwardi), Jor Bangla Mandir (eighteenth century, Pabna), Jagannath Mandir, Seth Kuthi (1779), Snana Mandir (Chatmohar) and Pabna District Judge Court Building (1884).
Historical events Once the present area of the Pabna district was a part of the ancient Pundravardhana. Although established in 1832 the contours of the district has been changed many times. The major changes of the boundaries of the district took place in 1877 and 1881 with the major changes of the courses of the rivers Padma and Jamuna. In the 1980s greater Pabna district was divided into two districts: Pabna and Sirajganj.
Marks of the War of Liberation Mass grave 4, mass killing site 6, memorial 8.
Population 2153921; male 51.17%, female 48.83%; Muslim 95.12%, Hindu 4.50%, Christian 0.22% and others 0.16%.
Religious institutions Mosque 2353, temple 420, church 11, tomb 5, sacred place 2.
Literacy and educational institutions Average literacy 26.8%; male 31.8% and female 21.5%. Educational institutions: college 34, cadet college 2, law college 1, government polytechnic college 1, government vocational training institute 1, textile institute 1, government commerce college 1, primary teacher's training institute 1, nursing training institute 1, homeopathic college 1, high school 202, junior high school 29, madrasa 261, government primary school 667, non-government primary school 445, community school 8, kindergarten 29, satellite school 32, NGO operated school 299, music college 1. Noted educational institutions: Pabna Edward College (1898), Pabna Zila School (1853), GCI Institution (1894), RM Academy (1899), Polytechnic Institute (1891) and Aliya Madrasa (1925), MC Jubilee High School (1936), Debattar (Atgharia) Government Primary School (1880), Bharenga (Bera) Academy (1835), Bera B B High School (1899), Bera High School (1906), Dhobakhola Coronation High School (1906), Banwari Nagar (Faridpur) CB Pilot High School (1912), Sanra (Ishwardi) Marwari School (1917), Khalilpur (Sujanagar) High School (1901).
Cultural organisations Club 455, library 66, cinema hall 27, literary and cultural organisation 46, theatre stage 3, theatre group 19, community centre 1, shilpakala academy 1, voluntary organisation 303, women's organisation 123, opera party 3, cooperative society 1124.
Locally published newspapers and periodicals Dainik Ichamati, Dainik Nirvar, Dainik Uttar Janata (Ishwardi); Weeklies: Gayana Bikashini, Pabna Barta, Bibreti, Arshi; fortnightly Jamuna, Charmohar Barta, Faridpur Barta, Junction, Janadabi (Ishwardi); monthly Gayana Prava, Palli Darpan, Manasi, Amar Desh and Pabna, Tawhid (Bhangura), Chetana, Sachetan.
Main occupations Agriculture 34%, agricultural labourer 22.77%, wage labourer 4.46%, transport 2.18%, weaving 2.85%, commerce 13.27%, service 7.26% and others 13.21%.
Land control Among the peasants 29% are landless, 49% small, 18% intermediate and 4% rich.
Value of land The market value of the land of the first grade is Tk 7500 per 0.01 hectare.
Main crops Paddy, jute, wheat, sugarcane, oil seeds, onion, garlic, betel leaf, pulses.
Extinct or nearly extinct crops Indigo, sesame, linseed, kaun, china and arahar.
Main fruits Mango, jackfruit, banana, litchi, coconut, guava and papaya.
Fisheries, dairies, poultries Dairy 1069, fishery 88, poultry 714, hatchery 37.
Communication facilities Roads: pucca 681 km, semi pucca 100 km and mud road 3198 km; waterways 184 nautical mile; railways 67 km; air port 1.
Traditional transport Palanquin, horse carriage and bullock cart. These means of transport are either extinct or nearly extinct.
Manufactories Paper mill, sugar mill, cotton mill, jute press, oil mill, pharmaceutical co, biscuit factory, rice and flour mill, ice factory, welding, saw mill, cold storage, etc.
Cottage industries Handloom, bamboo and cane work, blacksmith, goldsmith, potteries, wood work, tailoring etc.
Hats, bazars and fairs Total number of hats and bazars are 182, fairs 17.
Main exports Paddy, jute, betel leaf, hosiery goods, cotton, cotton fabrics, etc.
NGO activities Operationally important NGOs are brac, CARE, asa, grameen bank, caritas, proshika, Samata, ITCL, thengamara mahila sabuj sangha and Palli Pragati.
Health centres General hospital 4, mental hospital 1, zila sadar hospital 1, upazila health complex 9, health & family planning centre 25, TB hospital 1, diabetic hospital 1, eye hospital 1, community hospital 1, maternity & child welfare centre 1, police hospital 1, railway hospital 1, private clinic 15.
Nilphamari District (rajshahi division) with an area of 1640.91 sq km, is bounded by Kuchbihar district of west bengal (India) on the north, rangpur district on the south, lalmonirhat district on the east and panchagarh and dinajpur districts on the west. Annual temperature: maximum 32.3°C, minimum 11.2°C; annual rainfall 2931mm. Main rivers are Tista, Jamuneshwari, Chikni and Dhaigan.
Nilphamari (Town) consists of 9 wards and 10 mahallas. The area of the town is 19.53 sq km. It has a population of 39838; male 51.33%, female 48.67%. The density of population is 2040 per sq km. Literacy rate among the town people is 48.2%.
Administration The Nilphamari subdivision was established in 1875 and was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 6 upazilas, 3 municipalities, 33 wards, 65 mahallas, 62 union parishads, 390 mouzas and 370 villages. The upazilas are dimla, domar, jaldhaka, kishoreganj, nilphamari sadar and saidpur.
Archaeological heritage and relics Birat Dighi (present name Nilsagar), Neel Kuthi (Nilphamari Sadar Upazila), Nat Settlement (prison, 1871), Saidpur Church (1893), Dimla Rajbari, Garh (Fort) of Raja Dharmapal and the remnants of his palace (eighteenth century, Jaldhaka), remnants of the palace of Raja Harish Chandra (Ninth century, Jaldhaka upazila), three domed Jami Mosque at Bherberi (eighteenth century, Kishoreganj upazila).
Historical events The tebhaga movement spread over Domar and Dimla in the 1940s. In this movement the activist Tannarayan was shoot dead by the zamindar. Once indigo was cultivated extensively in this district. The Nilphamari region was under the Votmari Chauki during the British period. Later on the Chauki was transferred first to Shekherhat of Badarganj thana and then to Dokra of Domar thana.
Marks of the War of Liberation Mass killing site 1, mass grave 8, memorial 1.
Population 1550686; male 51.03%, female 48.97%; Muslim 82.64%; Hindu 17.17%, Buddhist 0.02%, Christian 0.07% and others 0.10%; ethnic nationals: Santal population 2000.
Religious institutions Mosque 1956, temple 299, church 2, tomb 13, sacred place 1.
Literacy and educational institutions Average literacy 25.35%; male 33.16%, female 16.98%. Educational institutions: college 26, high school 189, madrasa 275, government primary school 567, non-government primary school 309, vocational institute 1, PTI 1, homeopath college 1, kindergarten 3. Noted educational institutions: Nilphamari Government High School (1882), Jaldhaka Pilot High School (1939), Kishoreganj Multilateral High School (1939).
Locally published newspapers and periodicals Weekly Nilphamari Barta, Nilsagar, Nilsamachar, Weekly Jaldhaka, Weekly Alpana (Saidpur), Saidpur Barta, Janasamasha (Saidpur); extinct: Jagarani (1962), Nilanchan (1972), Shalki (Domer) and Jaltaranga (Jaldhaka).
Cultural organisations Club 95, public library 3, cinema hall 15, theatre group 19, theatre stage 5, literary society 5 and women's organisation 67, circus party 1.
Main occupations Agriculture 45.28%, agricultural labourer 27.81%, wage labourer 3.42%, commerce 8.65%, service 6.07% and others 8.77%.
Land use Total land under cultivation 128515 hectares, fallow land 10000 hectares; forestry 2100 hectares; char land 4500 hectares; single crop 24.08%, double crop 63.65% and treble crop land 12.27%; land under irrigation 45000 hectares. One of the biggest irrigation projects of the country, Tista Barrage Project, begins from Dalia of this district.
Land control Among the peasants 42% are landless, 45% small, 8% intermediate and 5% rich.
Value of land The market value of the land of the first grade is Tk. 6000 per 0.01 hectare.
Main crops Paddy, jute, wheat, potato, tobacco, cotton and ginger.
Extinct and nearly extinct crops Linseed, sesame, indigo, arahar, kaun, aus paddy and mustard seed.
Main fruits Jackfruit, mango, black berry, guava, litchi and banana.
Fisheries, dairies, poultries Dairy 81, poultry 244, fishery 48, nursery 4 and hatchery 7.
Communication facilities Roads: pucca 404 km, semi pucca 49 km and mud road 3301 km; railways 56.6 km; waterways 32 nautical mile; airport 1.
Traditional transport palanquin, horse carriage and bullock cart. These means of transport are either extinct or nearly extinct.
Manufactories Textile mills, aluminium factory, rice and flour mill, oil mill, ice cream factory, biscuit factory, cold storage, welding, saw mill, etc.
Cottage industries Weaving, bamboo work, wood work, blacksmith, goldsmith, tailoring, potter, bidi, etc.
Hats, bazars and fairs Hats and bazars are 120, fair 5.
Main exports Paddy, jute, cotton, tobacco and ginger.
NGO activities Operationally important NGOs are brac, asa, CARE, rdrs, Grameen Krishi Foundation, RDSS, etc.
Health centres District sadar hospital 1, upazila health complex 5, TB hospital 1, TB clinic 1, leprosy hospital 3, railway hospital 1, upazila health and family planning centre 61, satellite clinic 15.
Chapai Nawabganj: at past, its name was ''Goad'', the capital of old Bengal. The Sonamasjid is the best example of that.... Chapai Nawabganj is a district on the northwestern border of Bangladesh.
Chapai Nawabganj is a district on the northwestern border of Bangladesh. It is famous for mango, and other crops like paddy, sugarcane and wheat. Most of the people depend for their daily bread on farming. However, a good number of people are well educated and well of here. There are four rivers in Chapainawabganj. They are Padma, Pagla, Mahananda and Punarbhaba. Chapinawabganj is also a historical place. At past, its name was ''Goad'', the capital of old Bengal. The Sona Masjid is the best example of that. Side by side, there is also a bridge over the Mahananda. And after all, Chapainawabganj is a beautiful district to look at. Its natural scenery in Barendra area and other parts are really exception.
Name of District Chapai Nawabganj:
Zila 1st March, 1984
Area 679.05 Mile
Police Station 5
1. Nawabganj Sadar
Pourashava (Minicipality) 3
Road Way 89 km
Way other 820 km
Way River 128 km
Educated Person 27%
Hospital (Govt.) 3
Thana Helth Center 4
Temperature 400 C (Max )
50 C (Min)
Rain 11.99" to 13.40"
Rivers Padma, Mohanonda, Punorvoba & Pagla
Hospital Emergency Unit : 55207
Fire Service : 55211
Police Station : 55220
Electricity Complain : 55242
Electricity Control Room : 56350
Railway Station : 55205
Ambulance, Fire Service : 55212
Ambulance, Children & Moth...... Center : 55084
Assistant Engineer, Telecom : 55700
Govt. Lowyer (G.P) : 55162
Govt. Lowyer (P.P) : 55432
Medical Emergency Unit : 774335
Medical : 776001-8
Airport : 761011
GMG Airlince : 774000
Police Control Room : 775896
Railway Station : 776040
It’s my web diary. So, I can add all my collections from anywhere. I also prefer to get maximum available opportunity from it. I am collecting data on it so that it will be helpful for me in future. It’s my “greenbdinfo.blogspot”.
You can also inform me your thinking or comments @:
You can also inform me your thinking or comments @:
Indeed, one theory proposes that the Tunguska object was a fragment of Comet Encke. This ball of ice and dust is responsible for a meteor shower called the Beta Taurids, which cascade into Earth's atmosphere in late June and July - the time of the Tunguska event.
Does Lake Cheko have anything to do with the Tunguska blast?
The absence of any crater connected with the Tunguska event has left the door open for some outlandish alternatives to the meteorite theory. A lump of anti-matter, a colliding black hole and - inevitably - an exploding alien spaceship have all been proposed as the possible source of the blast.
But in 2007, Giuseppe Longo, from the University of Bologna, Italy, and his colleagues, suggested they might have found something Leonid Kulik had missed all those years ago.
Lake Cheko does not appear on any maps of the area made before 1908; it also happens to lie North-West-West of the epicentre, on the general path taken by the impactor as it plummeted to Earth.
To Dr Longo, a radar signal from beneath the lake is suggestive of a dense object, possibly part of the Tunguska meteorite, buried about 10m down. The team plans to conduct an expedition to the area in 2009, to investigate this possibility.
"We have no positive proof it is an impact crater, we have come to this conclusion [about Lake Cheko] through the negation of other hypotheses," Dr Longo told BBC News last year.
But other researchers, including Gareth Collins and Phil Bland of Imperial College London, cast doubt on the idea Lake Cheko has anything to do with the Tunguska event.
They point to trees older than 100 years which are still standing around the rim of the lake (and, they say, should have been levelled by the impact) and the features of the lake itself, which, the researchers argue, are inconsistent with an impact origin.
From: BBC News.
Four-century-old Atia Mosque
The 400-year-old Atia Jam-e Mosque in Delduar upazila of Tangail, built in the early 17th century. The walls of the mosque with terracotta plaques, bearing intricate patterns. According to officials of Department of Archaeology and local historians, the Zamindar of Atia, Syed Khan Panni, had the mosque built on the bank of Louhaganj River by the best masons and artisans of the time (1609). Panni received Atia Pargana from the Mughal Emperor Jahangir as a gift in the beginning of the 17th century.
The mosque is situated next to the shrine of Hazrat Shahan Shah, who came to Atia from Kashmir in 913 Hijri along with his 39 followers to preach Islam in the region. Their graves are near the mosque.
The mosque was badly damaged in the devastating earthquake of 1800.
Later, Rowshan Khatoon Chowdhurani, a female merchant from Delhi, restored the damaged mosque in 1837. The Zamindar of Delduar, Abu Ahmed Guznavi Khan, together with Wajed Ali Khan Pannee and other zamindars of Atia repaired it again in 1909.